Lucky individuals win prizes at local nonprofit’s signature fundraiser that helps build a safe and peaceful community
The Center for Prevention of Abuse (CFPA) hosted its 30th Annual Duck Race today, August 25, at EastSide Centre where 30,000 rubber ducks raced down a giant 750-foot water slide. The event sold out of all 30,000 ducks and raised $155,000 to benefit CFPA and its mission of helping all women, men, and children live free from violence and abuse in Central Illinois.
Attendees participated in free activities for kids including a photo booth, face painting, bounce houses, cotton candy, and refreshments from Moja Southern Kitchen and Kona Ice before the race began at 2:00 p.m.
The owners of the first 30 ducks to cross the finish line won prizes. The first duck to cross the finish line and win the grand prize of $5,000 cash belonged to John Rose of Biloxi, Mississippi. David Smith of Dunlap, Illinois won three separate prizes as three of his ducks crossed the finish line in the first 30.
This year’s full list of winners includes:
• Grand Prize $5,000 Sponsored by Associated Bank - John Rose of Biloxi, MS
• $3,000 Sponsored by Caterpillar and Bob Lindsay Acura - Joe & Linda Pieper of Peoria, IL
• $2,500 Sherman’s Gift Card Sponsored by Sherman’s - Cynthia Ridle of Marietta, IL
• Gas Powered Moped Scooter Sponsored By The Fresh Market and Par-A-Dice - Kevin Lyons of Peoria, IL
• Family 4-Pack Disney World Tickets and $500 Visa Gift Card Sponsored by Menold Construction & Restoration - Sharon Tear of Peoria, IL
• $500 Kroger Gift Card Sponsored by Kroger - David Thomas of Mapleton, IL
• 55” Roku Smart TV Sponsored by Getz Fire Equipment and Hanson Professional Services, Inc. - David Smith of Dunlap, IL
• 43” LG Smart TV Sponsored by Rent-A-Center - Jeanann McCoy of Lake Oswego, CA
• Series 3 Apple Watch Sponsored by Hopedale Medical Complex and Kriegsman Warehouses - Maggie of Peoria, IL
• Date Night Bundle (Overnight stay for two at Stoney Creek Hotel, two Peoria Players Theater tickets, $50 Logan’s Steakhouse Gift Card) Sponsored by Dennis and Judy Triggs - Suzanne Vanderham of East Peoria, IL
• Pearl Necklace Sponsored by Jones Bros Jewelers - Connie Cavanagh of Peoria, IL
• Photo Session by DRAKE Photo - Les Hedgespeth of Bartonville, IL
• ASUS Tablet Sponsored by Ray Dennison Chevrolet - Kimberlee Spinella of Grass Valley, CA
• $250 JC Penney Gift Card - David Smith of Dunlap, IL
• $250 Peoria Himalayan Salt Cave Experience - Debbie Herold of Mapleton, IL
• Aura Salon Experience Package - Drew Bergstrom of Peoria, IL
• $200 Summer Savings Bundle ($100 Casey’s Gift Card, $50 Red Carpet Gift Card, 1 Beachler’s Oil Change Certificate) - Sandra Quinn of Morton, IL
• Mackinaw valley Winery Package - Beth Ann Burt of Roseville, CA
• Maui Jim Sunglasses - Erica Turney of Morton, IL
• $100 Jeffrey Alans Gift Card - Brad McMillan of Normal, IL
• Keurig – K Elite C Sponsored by Costco and Hecht-Stout Insurance Agency - Suzi of Peoria, IL
• $100 Alwan & Sons Gift Card Sponsored by C.T. Gabbert Remodeling and Construction - Lindsey Etheridge of Normal, IL
• $100 Amazon Gift Card Sponsored by American Pest Control - Pat & Lark Sullivan
• Tanners Orchard Experience Package - Sheila Bussone
• Gone In 60 Escape Games Package - Patsy Scovil of Peoria, IL
• 4-Pack White Sox Tickets - Kristen Querciagrossa of Dunlap, IL
• CxT Roasting Company Basket - Walt Bradbury of Peoria, IL
• $50 Amazon Gift Card Sponsored by Walz Label & Mailing Systems - Pam Herchenroder of Pekin, IL
• $50 Logan’s Steakhouse Gift Card Sponsored by Dennis and Judy Triggs - Gregory Sams of East Peoria, IL
• Amazon Echo Dot Smart Speaker Sponsored by Mike Murphy Ford - David Smith of Dunlap, IL
Winners should call CFPA at 309-691-0551 to claim their prize.
After the race, kids in attendance helped in the annual “Kid’s Cleanup Crew!” and assisted in cleaning up and packaging the ducks.
“We would like to thank every single person who sponsored a duck, those came out to celebrate this landmark year with us on Race Day, and our incredibly generous sponsors who helped us put on a wonderful Duck Race,” said Carol Merna, Executive Director at the Center for Prevention of Abuse. “We couldn’t have done it without Mayor Dave Mingus, Doug McCarty of EastSide Centre, Rick Swan of the East Peoria Chamber of Commerce, and the East Peoria Fire Department. We are thankful for all the support that we receive so that we may continue providing free and confidential services to survivors of abuse and work toward building a safe and peaceful community.”
All funds raised through the Duck Race go directly to client services at CFPA, helping all women, men, and children live free from violence and abuse.