Goodwill of Central Illinois has officially opened Goodwill Commons. The “repurposed” facility, located at 2319 E. War Memorial Drive in Peoria, will allow the nonprofit, community based organization to expand its educational and social services to more people in Central Illinois.
“Goodwill Commons belongs to the people of Central Illinois because it was built by their donations of clothing and other goods,” said Patty Fuchs, Goodwill President and CEO. “We want everyone to share in this new facility. Goodwill Commons is a place to learn and a place to grow. It’s a place for our community.”
Two thirds of the renovated building is dedicated to Goodwill’s free services, which include job training and career services for veterans, individuals and families who are working to better their lives. Goodwill Commons features five classrooms that can accommodate a total of 100 students, a veterans’ service center and a youth service center, all with state-of-the-art technology. Several conference rooms are also available to other social service agencies and Goodwill partners for meeting space.
Built in 1951 as a Caterpillar dealership, the building had served as Goodwill’s retail store, warehouse, learning center and administrative headquarters since 1990. Warehouse operations moved to East Peoria in 2009, and the retail store relocated to 3905 University in Peoria in 2012, making way for the expansion and renovation.
In addition to its free vocational services, Goodwill of Central Illinois also operates GoodGuides, a mentoring program for youth ages 12 to 17; Beyond Jobs, a program that provides employment assistance for women; and the General Wayne A. Downing Home for Veterans.
For more information on retail stores, donation centers and vocational services, visit www.goodwillpeo.org or call the Administrative Offices at (309) 682-1113.