Domestic Violence Awareness Events
Domestic Violence is a major cause of injury and death for women and children. To raise awareness during October-National Domestic Violence Awareness Month, The Center for Prevention of Abuse is partnering with community organizations to offer a number of programs and events:
* Mon., Oct. 4, 9:30 to 10:30 p.m., Telling Amy's Story on
WTVP-Channel 47 is a special one hour program that details the murder of a young wife and mother who is killed by her husband in a small PN community. Martha Herm, executive director of The Center for Prevention of Abuse is interviewed following the broadcast to explain what people can do to help victims.
* Tues., Oct. 5, 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Alcove Day at Methodist
Medical Center of Illinois
* Wed., Oct. 6, Healing Through Art, Heart House in Eureka, 6:30
to 8:30 p.m. Survivors use art and creativity to heal.
* Tues, Oct. 12, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Alcove Days at OSF Saint
Francis Medical Center and Open House at the Family Justice Center, 435 Hamilton Blvd., Peoria from 12 to 2 p.m.
* Wed., Oct. 13. Healing Through Art, Pekin Office of The Center
for Prevention of Abuse, 401 Court St., 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
* Thurs., Oct. 14, 12 noon to 4 p.m., Open House at the Pekin
Office of The Center for Prevention of Abuse
* Tues., Oct. 19, Healing Through Art, Heart House in Eureka, 6:30
to 8:30 p.m.
* Oct. 29, Pekin Night Out Against Crime event at the Dragon Dome
* Oct. 30, Walk a Mile in My Shoes in cooperation with Women's
Lifestyle Show, Meet at 8:00 a.m. at the Peoria Civic Center Fulton St.
entrance with walk to begin at 8:30 a.m.
For more information about the events, call The Center at
691-0551 or visit the website at